Caderzone Terme is located in a part of the big alluvial plain of Sarca river. The origin of this settlement is attested in the Bronze Age, as proved by the found testimonies. The village was dominated by the powerful Lodron family, who in the fourteenth century started an important historical and administrative authonomy. After this dynasty the Bertelli family succeeded: its last descendant Elisabetta left the family palace to the inhabitants; today the Lodron Bertelli building hosts the thermae. The village has been always linked to the forestry-pastoral economy: this connection is present in the testimony of Maso Curio, in the tools of the museum and in the organic products of the farms in the plain.
The thermal building opened in 2004, even if the healing properties of Caderzone spring have been well-known for centuries. The so called “Borgo della Salute” (health village) includes the building of the healing treatments, “Lodron Bertelli” building (where an exclusive hotel will take place) and the old stables that now host the herdsman’s hut museum and the new beauty and wellness center.
The properties of “S. Antonio” ferruginous spring water, situated in the high part of the village, have been known by the village for years. The documents, kept in the parish and town hall archives, attest the salutary effects of the water since 1635. Different therapeutic and tourist attempts to use the thermal water were made over the years.
In 1928 “Sant’Antonio – Caderzone spring water association” was founded and from 2004 the thermae have become an important reality.
The Lodron-Bertelli bulding dates back to the beginning of the Fourteenth century and it is one of the first buildings to be made in the historic center, which influenced the next city plain and architectural choices of the village. Downstream of this huge building, Don Giacomo Bertelli built the chapel dedicated to St. Antonio in 1677, with a gilded wooden altar inside. The nearby stables were destroyed by a raging fire on 4th November 1976, but the most important and rare part was saved, made up by a pillar of 60 cm in diameter on a stone, and by a big chestnut beam that supports all the wooden attic of the southern portal. The ex-stables of the Lodron Bertelli building were restored and took back to the ancient splendours; today they host a wonderful multipurpose room and the herdsman’s hut museum.
It is made in wrought iron and realized by the artist Luciano Zanoni in 1996: it represents a Rendena cow that suckes its calf. It symbolizes the feeling that unites Rendena people to this bovine breed. A particular homage to nature represented by Rendena breed and at the same time an acknoledgement to man, who dedicates himself to the territory and traditions with his hard work.
After a pestilence that decimated the valley herds in 1700, some peasants bought new cows in Switzerland which, crossbreeding with the specimen survived in the valley, create the new Rendena breed. It is excellent for milk, and has good adaptability to the mountain environment, fertility and longevity.
It is dedicated to the work on the montain pastures in Giudicarie. There are the tools of the milk processing and of its products. With the beginning of summer shepherds were used to move the herds from the valley bottom to the pastures in the mountain, where the forage was better. The herds stayed at high altitude during all the summer in the alpine summer house called “malghe”.
It was built in 1600 by the Bertelli counts as their country house. In 1630, after the plague, the house was converted into a sanatorium because of the seriousness of the pestilence for 4 years.
To avoid that ill people left the place, a high fence with a keeper was created. Nearby, there was the cemetery of the plague victims, which was considered sacred till the half of the nineteenth century, and a chapel dedicated to the holy Mary.
Documented at the beginning of the fourteenth century and built according to the rural valley architecture, it kept its original function linked to the stock-breeding. The building presents a stone base with an harmonious wooden structure upon, with a rustic porch supported by big larch columns on granite stones and the doors of the stables under them. The shingle roof has the shape of a hut, while the floor of the stables and the porch are in cobblestones. Near the main building there is the little house for the milk presevation, the “casera” house and two little fountains. The sacred fresco of the eastern wall, now worn away by time, shows the date of the rebuilding of 1537 and represents St. Antonio Abate, the patron saint of the animals, and St. Barbara, the patron saint of the fires, represented with the burning “maso” struck by the lightning.
Typical cobblestone paths delimited by dry stone walls. They were used to reach the pastures and woods at high altitude, from which wood and harvest were brought to valley, and used by the beasts of burden. For their ordinary and extraordinary maintenance, the inhabitants of the mountain villages gave themselves strict rules.
It covers 250.000 sq. m. in Caderzone Terme, Strembo and Bocenago villages, along different height differences, near rivers or little lakes, fairways and wide greens. It is composed by 9 holes - 35 par, with a driving range, a putting green, a pitchin green; its club house has a restaurant, a pro shop and a solarium.
Wide agricultural area which takes its name by the ancient “maso”(farm). It is a wide plain, still nowadays used for grazing and farming: it comes from the alluvial formation of an ancient lake that took up a great part of the high valley, from the present village of Carisolo to Caderzone.
As every year, the first Sunday of August the festival dedicated to agriculture takes place, with special attention to the local Rendena cows and the peasants work. The streets of the village become a picturesque stage for the representation of the bovine transhumance with carts and hay and with the tools for the milk processing. The inhabitants and the tourists meet in the Curio plain, where a great bonfire is lit at dusk and the music of the band accompanies the cows through the village. It is also an occasion to taste the typical products.
You can find Caderzone Terme "Family route" map at Val Rendena town halls, Pro Loco tourist offices and Tourist Board offices