The name of Carisolo comes from the “Carice” plant, that grew in that area abundantly. The village is located among the southern foothills of “Cima Lancia” peak and the plain between the Sarca river of Val Genova and the Sarca river of Campiglio. The historical part of the village is all around the church of San Nicolò, reachable with 100 steps – even if the oldest church is that of Santo Stefano, mentioned in the legenday expedition of Carlo Magno. Even if the village was struck by violent fires, it always rose again from its ruins and kept its identity alive.
This cemeterial church seems to be built before the year 1000, with some following changes, and has the characteristics of the mountain architecture. There are some important frescos on the outer walls, as the Danza Macabra painted by Simone Baschenis. Inside there is a painting of a baptism at the presence of Carlo Magno, with a long inscription that tells the legendary expedition of the Frankish king in Val Rendena.
The Glass factory, founded by Pernini and Bolognini partners, produced the precious Bohemia crystal objects. It is placed at the beginning of Val Genova in an area rich in timber (to burn) and rivers (to use as motive force); in addition to the furnace, the main part of the factory was a huge mill that crushed the quartz extracted by the nearby quarry. The factory had about 70 workers, most of all from Bohemia, Alsazia and Lorena, specialized in the glass blowing technique. The glass factory worked from 1805 to 1888 and its products were famous in the courts of the whole Europe. Today it is a beautiful museum dedicated to the glass processing technique.
The hermitage of San Martino is set at the beginning of Val Genova and at the feet of the “Cima Lancia” top. It is an old hermitage, where the alpinists made their excursions already in the second half of the seventeenth century, as described in the Freshfield documents. Situated at 1226 mt of altitude, it is surrounded by the silence, the beauty of nature, the fascinating atmosphere still evoked in the legends dedicated to it: they tells about treasures, monsters and one hermit protected by a bear. The hermitage was restored in the end of the Ninenteenth century and in the Twentieth century; you can reach it along the red path and when you arrive there you can see one of the most beautiful panoramic view on Rendena valley.
It is a simple sanctuary, built from a capital of the sixteenth century, which was included in the chapel afterwards. The present sanctuary dates back to the beginning of the ninenteenth century and it has only one nave and a presbytery with an altar. There is an aedicule with the Madonna and Child, particular in the iconography of the Virgin colours and clothing.
Separated from the square below with 100 steps, this church was built in the first half of the eighteenth century.
On the main facade there is a big rose window with the saint effigy, while on the southern facade there is a sundial. Inside there is only a nave, many decorations, 4 side altars in baroque style. There is a precious high altar in polychrome wood, testimony of the baroque-rococò style arrived in the valley late, before the church building; moreover, there are the paitings of the Salvation of the Old and New Testament.
Granite monument realized in 1957, surmounted by a statue of the “Regina Pacis” Madonna by Silvio Bottes. At the base of it there is a cannon of the First World War, coming from the Adamello front.
Historic building of the fifteenth century downstream of the S. Nicolò church and in the past used as a place of worship, considered the original core of the church itself. To confirm this hypothesis there are the presence of a granite stoop and of a fresco of the Madonna and Child, San Nicola and another saint.
Dates back before the year one thousand and it is one of the most important building of Trentino. At the beginning it was only a chapel, then torn down and replaced with the present buiding with three naves supported by granite columns. On the perimeter walls, the most famous paintings are Danza Macabra and the Seven Capital Vices, frescoed by Simone Baschenis. Danza Macabra depicts tha Death dancing, in front of which all the people are the same; it is 21 meters long, with 40 figures and captions in vernacular that show the death warning to humankind.
In the past, a particular care was dedicated to the chestnut trees: they gave, indeed, the fruit (chestnut), the wood, the tannin and the leaves for the litter of the stables. The chestnut wood was already described in 1673 by the historian of the Trento Council Michelangelo Mariani. An ancient tradition of Roman origin gave the possibility to the people of Carisolo of planting chestnuts in the town hall properties and picking up the fruits. Even though the altitude and the cold draughts of Val Genova, these chestnut fruits were very appreciated for their good preservation. Today the chestnut wood has been restored and enriched with a fitness trial.
They are circular cavities with smooth walls: according to the legend the giants used them as big pots for cooking. Their shape indeed comes from the glaciers that in the past covered Val Genova. With the thaw, many streams went down along the gorges and slits till reaching the rock cavities, hidden under the ice. Flowing downstream, the water together with the debris, smoothed down these rocks and rounded off the edges: during the centuries, these two elements carved the rocks with such a great power to be considered that of a giant.
The Sarca river runs through this valley, separating the two groups of Presanella and Adamello. It is the home of sprites, devils and witches. The main feature of Val Genova is its wild beauty, characterized by the water that goes down from the glacier, creating huge waterfalls and side valleys.
The complex has an equipped sports hall with Tecnogym equipment, a boulder area, an indoor climbing wall, an indoor tennis court and a soccer field, a big bar with a kids area and free wi-fi, a massage room and a relax room, as well as 2 outdoor tennis courts.
Info: Palazzetto +39 0465 503044.
You can find Carisolo "Family route" map at Val Rendena town halls, Pro Loco tourist offices and Tourist Board offices