Min 7°C - Max 20°C
Min 9°C - Max 17°C
Min 8°C - Max 19°C
Giustino, name of latin origin, is situated on the east side of Doss del Sabion. The coat of arms of the village shows a grinder, symbol of the emigration that marked this community deeply: in fact, the inhabitants were famous for their ability in the costruction of the “mola” (special tool used by grinders). The heart of the village is characterized by big houses with the upper part in wood, arched portals and windows with stone or granite lintels, often decorated with sacred images.
According to tradition, the village rose on a plain situated upstream the church of San Giovanni. The zone where the church is placed, it is called “Castel”, toponym coming maybe from the ancient “Castello Massimo” , from which the name of Massimeno comes. On the plain above, the tradition places the original village, destroyed then by a landslide or
by a fire that forced the inhabitants to move to the village downwards. The central square is still now surrounded by ancient and huge buil- dings with particular wood superstructures and frescos on the walls.
GIUSTINO: CULTURAL POINTS OF INTERES
1 Antonio Masè historic house (Giustino) It has a painting dedicated to the Immaculate Madonna, St. Luigi and St. Rocco on the east wall; example of conservative renewal
2 Tisi Banoi historic house (Giustino) It has a painting dedicated to the Pained Madonna on the west wall
3 Cozzini Giovanni historic house (Giustino) It has a painting dedicated to the Madonna with Child, St. Vigilio, St. Sebastiano and St. Giacomo by the Baschenis di Averara painters (sixteenth century)
4 Frizzi Giacomina historic house (Giustino) It has a painting dedicated to the fire of 1933 and to the strafing in 1945.
5 Masè Attilio historic house (Giustino) Example of traditional architecture
6 Santa Lucia church (Giustino) The church dates back to the beginning of the thirteenth century, as shown by the saint relics found in 1866; it also has the seal of the Trento Bishop Federico de Vanga (1212-1218). Other documents of 1244 named the presence of the cemetery and of the sacred building.
During the centuries the church was rebuilt many times till 1866. The main facade has a big granite portal, while inside there is a wide Renaissance nave. The golden wooden high altar dates back to the first half of the sixteenth century. There are some remains of frescos by Baschenis in the southern part of the presbytery, which represent the life of the “Blessed Mary”, the Jesus Nativity and the Mary’s burial. The buliding has been restored for the last time in 2009/2010, when the removal of the bell tower and walls plaster discovers the original building of the sixteenth century.
7 Giustino town hall and quarz quarry Around 1950 the town hall was the station where the telpher brought the minerals extracted downstream from the quarries above. It is a good example of industrial archeology, that kept the original structure of the building. In 1942 the area was bought by “Officine Elettrochimiche Trentine” in order to build the station where the quartz extracted by the Ragada quarry at 1380 mt of altitude was carried. In 1947 the Gadotti brothers arrived, opening the Movlina cave. In the same years, the Maffei firm discovered the feldspar near the village and Mr. Bruno Gadotti gave the possi- bility of using one or two containers to the firm. The Movlina funicular worked till 1960 and the year later the station downstream was closed. In 1982 Giustino municipality started the renovations of the station, where the new town hall is here nowadays
8 Washboard in Vadaione – Rosmini street (Giustino)
9 Washboard in Vadaione – “dei tamplei” street (Giustino)
MASSIMENO: CULTURAL AND NATURAL POINTS OF INTEREST
10 Washboard (Massimeno) Granite quadrangular fountain with a typical covered washboard
11 Frescos Massimeno has many frescos on the houses as well. In particular, the “Pained Madonna” and the “San Rocco” frescos
12 Salagada mule track in Massimeno It is an old mountain road: it is a completely pebbly road, in the past used to reach the pastures of Malga Plan and the mountain houses, where the mountain people took the cattle in the summer and mowed the fields. In autumn, people went down along the mule track with big sledges full of greenery picked up in the wood and used in the stables. The present worn cobblestones show that people were used to use often this steep track.
13 San Luigi little church (Massimeno) It is placed on the road from Massimeno to Bocenago, surrounded by fir woods. On the wall there is the San Luigi painting, with the bell tower of Massimeno church in the background
14 San Giovanni Battista little church (Massimeno) Documented from the fifteenth century, it was frescoed by Simone II Baschenis in 1534 and rebuilt in 1694. According to tradition it rose on the ruins of a Roman fortress in an area, where there were also found some coins, arms, a skeleton with armour and some tombs. The frescos represent St. Cristoforo with Jesus (on the left of the granite portal), the Virgin Mary on the throne (above the portal) and the Madonna of the Sepulchre (on the right, above the stoup). From the church you can see the big hole made by the extractive activity of the feldspar mine
15 Bàgole capital (Massimeno) This capital was built in “de le Bàgole” area in 1834 by Pietro Beltrami: it is frescoed with the Madonna of the Rosary painting with St. Giovanni Battista and St. Antonio from Padova. A certain Pietro Beltrami, while he was working in his field, found a granite slab (now the capital roof) and four skeletons under it, and so he built the capital in this place. The capital was restored in 1903 by the grandson Pietro Beltrami
16 Madonna di Loreto church (Massimeno) It is Massimeno church, built in 1861 on the spot of an ancient private chapel, of which only two paintings remain. The main facade has a huge granite portal and inside there is a wide nave and a prestigious white marble high altar
17 Madonna capital (Massimeno) It was built in 1654 and then restored many times; it is placed along the road to Bocenago, where in the past the people who worked in the fields were used to pass: for this reason the capital was always kept and restored
18 Calchera (Massimeno) Ruins of the ancient furnace used for making the lime, dating back to the nineteenth century
19 Martìn capital (Massimeno) On the capital there is the Christ Deposition painting and other two paintings: on the left St. Martino that helps the poor and on the right St. Antonio Abate that meditates on the Gospel. The capital was built around 1922. Near the capital on the right there are the ruins of a mountain house used till the sixties, while all the fields around were used for grazing
20 Pierced larches for the extraction of the “Largà” resin These centuries-old larches were pierced in the past for the extraction of a special resin called “largà”; the hole made at the base of the trunk was closed with a wooden cap, so the resin could fill the hole and then it was extracted with a little iron tool.
The distillation of the resin let have the “trementina”, which was used in medicine to cure different deseases. The resin essence was used as solvent. After the fifities the extraction of this resin stopped maybe because of the introduction of the chemical resin
You can find Giustino and Massimeno "Family route" map at Val Rendena town halls, Pro Loco tourist offices and Tourist Board offices
Ultimo aggiornamento 19/05/2013 01:12:15