Castel Romano is a fascinating ruin, shrouded in mystery, in Pieve di Bono: its most famous legend tells of countess Lodron inviting beautiful youths here to meet their end.
Proudly overlooking the whole Valle del Chiese all the way to Lago d'Idro, the castle was built in the 12th century to guard the road connecting Brescia to the Giudicarie valleys. Its strategic location has made it the target of looting and attacks from various armies over the centuries. The rectangular tower, which dominates the valley, demonstrates the structure’s strategic importance. It began falling into disrepair when the Lodron counts transferred their power to other parts of Trentino, Austria, and Bavaria. The castle is shrouded in legends, the most famous being that countess Dina Lodron - of the feudal family that controlled the Valle del Chiese - would invite the most beautiful youths in the land here in order to kill them.
The castle overlooks the whole Valle del Chiese, all the way to Lago d’Idro
Opening and closing times
- June 18, 2022 - September 10, 2022
- Saturday from 14:30 to 14:30 and from 16:30 to 16:30
- June 23, 2022 - August 25, 2022
- Thursday from 14:30 to 14:30 and from 16:30 to 16:30
- July 3, 2022 - August 28, 2022
- Sunday from 14:30 to 14:30 and from 16:30 to 16:30