The warning function against any kind of war, is carried out with essential rawness by the Austro-Hungarian Monumental Cemetery in Bondo.
History and significate of the Austro-Hungarian Monumental Cemetry
THE CEMETERYIt was built in 1916 by the Austrian commander Theodor Spiegel, and it hosts 697 soldiers bodies, part of the Francesco Giuseppe’s army, except 5 bodies, all of them identified. The architectural structure of the grand staircase, decorated with low reliefs and statues, presents great interest elements: it was designed by a religious man, Father Fabiano Barcatta and it was ended after the end of the conflict.
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN SOLDIERSBuilt aiming to give honourable burial to the Austrian soldiers who had fought and lost their lives in the mountains of the Giudicarie valleys, over the years it has become a monument to the fallen of all wars as a symbol of the tacit and ever-present call for peace between nation and ideology.
THE HISTORYWhat strikes visitors in this cemetery, in addition to architecture, is its history: as a matter of fact, the austro-hungarian cemetery was ended after the conflict.
This is the reason why it was decided to complete it despite the fact that Chiese’s valley was already part of the Italy, and it is what makes it one of the Fallen Great war memorial which better testify the call for peace among peoples.
Download the poster Walking on the paths of the Great War in Trentino.