Vigo Rendena is part of the municipality of Porte di Rendena, established on 1 January 2016 by the merger of the municipalities of Villa Rendena, Darè and Vigo Rendena.
The community of Vigo Rendena (from the Latin “vicus” - village) is particularly proud of its name and its origins. Etymological and historical indicators suggest that it dates back to the time of the first human settlements in the valley: it can be traced back as a fixed and autonomous entity to the Gallic era, around the 4th century BC. The historian Tacitus wrote in the 1st century A.D. that the small human settlements surveyed in these Alpine areas were still “pagus” in 100 B.C. and later converged into more organised “vicus” centres.
As regards information on the existence and regulations of the community of Vigo, the historical archival material yields scrolls that deal with the distribution of the territory with the nearby communities of Pelugo, Javrè and Darè. The oldest document is dated 1384 and relates to boundary lines (crosses carved on large rocks). The history of the village has been a succession of political and administrative unions and separations with Darè and Javrè.
As regards the village economy, construction has expanded significantly since the Second World War; there is also an important craft furniture business specialising in sofas, armchairs and living room furnishings.