The parish church of St. Mary of the Assumption and St. John the Baptist (9th -10th century) has a layout predating the year 1000.
The parish church of St. Mary of the Assumption and St. John the Baptist
RENOVATION AND RECONSTRUCTIONAfter numerous renovations, the ancient church had a rectangular map, with the canonical proportions of early Christian churches.
In 1513, Cardinal Adriano da Corneto ordered everything to be razed to the ground, except the chapels, and rebuilt. In 1893/96 it underwent further restoration.
DO NOT MISSThe inner part of the church strikes in its dimensions. Eight chapels interconnected by a 19th century gallery open into the vast nave.
Particularly interesting are: the baptistery, the frescoes (especially the Madonna and child by Simone Baschenis), the Via Crucis, the marble High Altar and three precious 16th century wooden statues, probably by Maffeo Olivieri.