The refuge at the foot of Castelletto Inferiore, one of the most famous peaks of the Brenta Dolomites.
The sat (Tridentine Mountaineers' Society) built its own refuge at the foot of the lower Castelletto between 1904 and 1905 and inaugurated it in August 1906, symbolically naming it after the first president of the Italian Alpine Club, Quintino Sella, to whom a summit of the group had also been dedicated in 1884 on the occasion of his death.
At the same time, in competition with the SAT, the German mountaineers of the Berlin section DAV also began the construction of their own refuge, about twenty meters from that of the sat, and inaugurated it a week after the one dedicated to Q. Sella, naming it Tuckettpasshütte in honor of Francis Fox Tuckett, an English mountaineer, pioneer and explorer, particularly active in the mountains of Trentino. He was the first to document, in 1871, the passage of the pass over the Vedretta di Vallesinella, which today bears his name (Bocca di Tuckett).
The two buildings suffered extensive damage in the years of the First World War.
In 1920 the SAT, which in the meantime had also been entrusted by the German Mountaineering Society with the Tuckett refuge, restored the two buildings which have maintained their original plans over the years.
On the occasion of the centenary, in 2006, the two refuges and this place were given the value of a monument to peace and friendship between peoples by the sat and the DAV.
In 2013, a further renovation and an enlargement of the floor plan made the structure even more efficient.
Opening and closing times
Closing dates are indicative. Please contact the property directly for confirmation.