The municipality of Borgo Chiese was established on 1 January 2016 when the municipalities of Condino, Cimego and Brione were merged.
The village of Cimego lies partly on a terraced slope and partly in a cone formation, with the river Cimego flowing down from the Boniprati plateau and dividing it in two: on the right is Quartinàgo, and on the left Balbarone and Villa with the parish church of S. Martino, references to which date as far back as 1365. It is one of the few villages in Trentino where Roman inscriptions have been found, and a site of geological interest.
The settlement has the typical appearance of lower Giudicarie villages, with steep, narrow streets, long hallways leading deep into the buildings and enormous houses, some of which still feature wooden gables or doorways and galleries of granite. Another interesting feature is the little church of S. Antonio Abate, dating from 1482.
And don’t forget about the Rio Caino ethnographic trail, an enchanting walk that offers information about nature, science and botany, along with historical facts. It’s possible to visit locations used for ancient trades (forges which ran on water, limekilns), military sites (the trenches used by the Italian army during the Great War), and the buildings that formed part of everyday peasant life, like the malghe or mountain dairies where cheesemakers worked, and the clearings where charcoal burners plied their trade.